카카오

자유게시판

Maine lawmaker sparks fury defending Neo-Nazis' right to march

페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자 Pam Varley
댓글 0건 조회 13회 작성일 24-04-27 05:16

본문

A Republican lawmaker has come under fire for defending Neo-Nazis' right to assemble in Maine after Democrats shared a clip of her asking 'what did the Nazis do that was illegal?' 

Representative Laurel Libby made the comments on Wednesday in opposition to a bill that would ban unauthorized paramilitary training in the state, after a white supremacist tried to set up a Neo-Nazi training camp in the area last year.

Neo-Nazi groups staged several demonstrations, wearing all black, holding banners with racist slogans and giving 'Heil Hitler' salutes, in the state last year. 

Libby referred to their rallies, saying: 'Let's talk about the Nazis. I would like to know, although I'm not posing a question through the chair, I would like to know what they did that was illegal?'

Maine Democrats shared a clipped version of her speech online sparking outrage, with many accusing her of defending WWII Nazis and the Holocaust.

Libby said her comments on the floor of the State House were taken out of context 'for fundraising purposes' by Democrats.

She told DailyMail.com: 'Even if I do not agree with an organization or person's beliefs, NeoDrops Preis it is my job to protect their constitutional right to free speech and association.' 

Representative Laurel Libby made the comments at the State House in Augusta on Wednesday

She said: 'Let's talk about the Nazis. I would like to know, although I'm not posing a question through the chair, I would like to know what they did that was illegal?'

A neo-Nazi movement has been growing in Maine with protests and rallies last year

Libby was referring to the series of protests and rallies organized by Neo-Nazi groups - such as the Nationalist Social Club - in Maine and New England last year. 

The groups marched in major cities wearing matching uniforms with balaclavas, holding banners with racist slogans and giving 'Heil Hitler' salutes. 

Prominent neo-Nazi and white supremacist, Christopher Pohlhaus, then attempted to create a training center for a 'blood tribe' on a property in northern Maine. 

Defending the groups' right to carry guns and march, Libby said: 'I would like to know what they did, in detail if folks would like to share, that was wrong, that infringed on another person's right. 

'Holding a rally, and even holding a rally with guns, is not illegal.'

The Maine House Democratic Campaign Committee shared the clip on social media, racking up 283,000 views by Monday morning. 

They said: 'On the house floor today Laurel Libby (R-Auburn) stated "Let's talk about the Nazis…I would like to know what they did that was illegal." 

'We won't stand for this MAGA extremism in Maine. Check out who we have running against her.'

There was a huge backlash with many assuming she was defending WWII Nazism and the Holocaust.

One Twitter user wrote: 'I can think of about 6 million things they did that were illegal to start with.'

Another said: 'Laurel Libby is a Nazi apologist—at the very least.'

The groups staged several demonstrations wearing all black, holding banners with racist slogans and giving 'Heil Hitler' salutes

Prominent neo-Nazi and white supremacist, Christopher Pohlhaus, then attempted to create a training center for a 'blood tribe' on a property in northern Maine

Libby defended her comments in the face of the backlash, saying they were taken out of context

In a five-and-a-half-minute response on her Facebook page, Libby said: 'Watching the full speech makes it pretty clear that I am not talking about the Nazis in Germany in the 1940s and 1930s.

'This clip was put out there by the House Democratic Campaign Committee as a fund-raising stunt. It was deliberately put out there out of context in order to get a reaction.'

She later told DailyMail.com: 'My comments were in regards to a neo-Nazi group that was active in Maine last summer, and legislation that was submitted in response. 

'It is the proper role of government to protect our constitutional rights.'

Libby was elected to the Maine House in 2020. She was a leader of the 2020 people's veto campaign which opposed mandatory child vaccination in the state and protested Covid-19 measures. 

She has spoken openly about her refusal to vaccinate her children and campaigned against lockdowns in Maine. 

Libby encouraged health workers to walk away from their jobs rather than get vaccinated.  

DemocratsWorld War IIMaine

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.